The Nutrition Department offers traineeships and research or teaching assistantships. Opportunities for employment on faculty research grants are available for doctoral students.
- Department training grants
- Faculty research grants
The Graduate School
Merit assistantships and other scholarships are offered to entering master and doctoral students on a competitive basis. The department’s master and doctoral committee will apply for these on behalf of the student.
Application for financial assistance may also be made to the University Student Aid Office. The Resource Library at the Research Services Office offers a free computerized search service to UNC graduate students. The database includes private and public sources of research funding that can be searched by the student’s area of research interest or by discipline of investigator. The library is located at 306 Bynum Hall, 966-5625. Some agencies provide training support only, some dissertation support only and some both training and dissertation support. Students should be aware that the deadline for applying for many of these grants might precede the funding date by as long as a year.
Examples of Other Funding
- The UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center announces The Marci Kramish Campbell Dissertation Award
- The Agency for Health Care Quality (AHRQ) supports dissertation research in the area of health service delivery. Applications may be obtained from Chief, Review and Advisory Services (Dissertations), NCHSR, Parklawn Building, 5600 Fishers Lane, Room 18A-20, Rockville, MD 20857, (301) 443-3091.
- Carolina Population Center: Students working in the area of reproductive health or nutrition and population may be eligible for traineeships from this center. Faculty sponsorship is necessary (see Drs. Barry Popkin, Penny Gordon-Larsen, Peggy Bentley, and Anna Maria Siega-Riz, and Linda Adair). Applications may be obtained from Jan Hendrickson, CPC Training Program Coordinator, Carolina Population Center, University Square, CB#8120, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-8120.
- National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) supports individual dissertation research .
- Ford Foundation Predoctoral and Dissertation Fellowships for Minorities help supports research in the behavioral and social sciences. Applications may be obtained after September 1st from the Fellowship Office, National Research Council, 2101 Constitution Avenue, Washington, DC 20418, (202) 334-2872.
- Rotary World Peace Fellowship – for International Applicants, the Duke-UNC Rotary Center for International Studies in peace and conflict resolution. Each year the Center selects and trains Rotary Peace Fellows based on their ability to have a significant, positive impact on world peace and conflict resolution during their future careers.
- SPH Award Opportunities:
- BSPH Nutrition Opportunities:
UNC Honor’s Program – Senior Thesis Research Grant
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowships (SURF)
- MPH Nutrition Opportunities
The Cynthia Kay Reeser Scholarship in Nutrition
The MaryAnn C. Farthing Scholarship
The Laurel E. Zaks Global Public Health Nutrition MPH Scholarship
- PHD Nutrition Opportunities
- BSPH, MPH, MS, or PHD Nutrition Opportunities
Nutrition Alumni Association Scholarship
- External Opportunities
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Gerber Foundation Pre-doctoral Fellowship
Child Care Research Scholars grant from the Child Care Bureau, DHHS