Community Health Assessments
What is a Community Health Assessment (CHA)?
Need help with your CHA?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Community Health Assessment and Improvement Toolkit
A community health assessment is a process that uses quantitative and qualitative methods to systematically collect and analyze data to understand health within a specific community. An ideal assessment includes information on risk factors, quality of life, mortality, morbidity, community assets, forces of change, social determinants of health and health inequity, and information on how well the public health system provides essential services. Community health assessment data inform community decision-making, the prioritization of health problems, and the development, implementation, and evaluation of community health improvement plans.
NACCHO’s Definition of an Ideal Community Health Assessment
Why are CHAs important now?
CHAs are required for local public health agency accreditation, and nonprofit hospitals are required to conduct a community health needs assessment at least once every three years (effective for tax years beginning after March 23, 2012) and adopt an implementation strategy to address the most significant health issues.
Does your organization need help with CHAs?
NCIPH can provide the following fee-based services for local health departments and hospitals needing assistance with community health assessments:
- Legal and regulatory technical assistance and training provided by the SE Regional Center of the Network for Public Health Law
- Technical assistance from the Spatial Health Assessment and Research Program (SHARP)
- Training in community survey techniques
- Assistance with key informant interviews and focus groups
- Strategic planning to develop Community Health Improvement Plans
- Identification of evidence-based interventions that may be adapted to meet community needs
- Business Planning to identify resources to implement plans
If you are interested in NCIPH’s services, please send email to email@example.com for more information.