Support MCH Initiatives
Make a gift in honor of a loved one this Mother’s Day
Celebrate special women in your life with a gift in their honor that will benefit the Gillings School of Global Public Health’s Department of Maternal and Child Health. [Read more]
Dear Alumni and Friends:
Greetings from Chapel Hill! On behalf of our faculty, students and Alumni Committee, I wish to thank you for your contributions during the past year and to ask for your support to the Department of Maternal and Child Health and the Gillings School of Global Public Health during the coming year. We’ve made important contributions to the field of MCH globally and locally this year and, with your help, we’ll have an even greater impact in 2014.
Just a few highlights for 2013:
- We welcomed one of our largest master’s degree classes ever – 46 new students including four medical doctors (two from Nigeria, one from Iraq, and one from Ethiopia) and three Rotary Peace Scholars.
- We succeeded our our Self-Study and Program Review with the external review team concluding: “The Department has earned its stellar reputation, nationally and internationally and clearly contributes in may meaningful ways to the vision and mission of the Gillings School and the University. Indeed, the MCH Department at UNC is and has been considered the standard bearer for this field for decades.”
- We Accelerated progress in the development of programs on implementation science globally and locally with a major new grant award from the U.S. Health Resources and Services Administration.
- We continued to support a growing important body of work on health disparities.
The Department of Maternal and Child Health may be the smallest in the UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health, but our alumni and friends have the biggest hearts! Your gift to our Annual Fund will help us with three development priorities:
- Financial aid for students in need – state budget cuts and resulting tuition increases have created even grater financial need for our students;
- Travel support, particularly for students who cannot afford expenses related to practica and attendance at professional meetings;and
- Discretionary funds to respond to strategic opportunities.
Your gift will make a HUGE difference to our Department. Thank you for all you do to help us continue to thrive for those we serve!
My best regards,
Herbert B. Peterson, MD, FACOG
Kenan Distinguished Professor and Chair