Mediasite is a content capture system that records a speaker’s audio and video and any content displayed through an attached computer or peripheral (such as a document camera). It can also stream live events. Mediasite is available for use in the Rosenau Auditorium (133 Rosenau Hall), rooms 2301, 2306 and 2308 in McGavran-Greenberg Hall, and Blue Cross and Blue Shield Auditorium (0001 Michael Hooker Research Center).
See our webconferencing guide to determine whether Mediasite fits your specific needs.
To schedule a capture or live broadcast for your class or event, please use our online request form:
Once your scheduling request is processed, you will receive an email with the Mediasite viewing link and instructions. All presentation captures will start, stop, and upload to the web automatically. No action needs to be taken in the classroom to start and stop the capture.
For more information on our Mediasite services, please contact Ben Davis (919-843-9753 or email@example.com)
How to View a Mediasite Presentation
Mediasite content is designed to be viewed using any standard web browser. To test your ability to view a Mediasite presentation, follow this link to open a presentation: View the test presentation
If you can see the video, hear the audio, and view the accompanying slide you are all set. If you have difficulty, check the system requirements and troubleshooting tips below.
General system requirements for viewing
Broadband internet connection (e.g., T1, cable, or DSL; minimum 256 kbps download).
- Microsoft Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista
- Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.6 or later, Google Chrome
- OS X 10.5.7 or later
- Safari 4 or later, Firefox 3.6 or later
iPad, iPhone, iPod:
- iOS 4.3 or later
- Mobile Safari
- Android 4.0 or later
If you are watching a live presentation and get a media error or other type of interruption, first try refreshing your browser page. If that does not solve the problem, try closing all browser windows and then re-opening the Mediasite URL. If neither option works, see the more detailed information below.
Browser settings can affect playback of Mediasite presentations. Most of these settings are properly enabled by default, and are typically only disabled in environments with strict security policies. (The setting names listed below are from Internet Explorer. These names may vary with different browsers.)
- Session cookies must be allowed.
- First party cookies must be allowed. If these are not allowed, users will be unable to use the “Remember Me” option on the login page.
- The “Submit non-encrypted form data” option must be enabled.
- The “Active scripting” option must be enabled.
- The “Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins” option must be enabled.
- The “Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting” option must be enabled.
- Virus Protection and Pop-Up Blockers can prevent Media Site from functioning. You may need to add or allow the UNC Site to your approved list. The root site is http://unc.mediasite.mcnc.org
- One example of this is in Symantec Virus Protection. You may see “Player Load Error” These errors can be caused by settings in Symantec Client Security. Try making the following changes in the Ad Blocking Module:
- Go to Configure > Advanced > Add Site, and then add the root of the site that is hosting the Mediasite content. For example our site is: unc.mediasite.mcnc.org.
- On the Add Blocking tab go to Add > Permit, and add the root of the site.
See Sonic Foundry’s Mediasite support page for help troubleshooting common issues: http://www.sonicfoundry.com/support/articles.aspx