Residential Master's Admission and Tuition

Residential Master’s Quick Links

Residential Master’s HomeCurriculum and Degree Requirements -Frequently Asked Questions

Application Deadlines

See the table below for specific dates.

School Year

Early Admission

Regular Admission

Space-available Admission


December 1, 2015

January 12, 2016

February 9, 2016

NOTE: Your application must be complete and include all required materials. Applications typically become available for the coming academic year in September.

Master’s Programs Admission Requirements

Before applying, please see the program descriptions for MHA, MSPH, and MPH degrees to ensure your eligibility for your program of choice. If you have questions, contact HPM Student Services.

Please also review our Competency Logic Model. A competency model defines what graduates should be able to do to succeed in their professional careers.

PLEASE NOTE: Residential MHA and MSPH candidates are required to travel to Chapel Hill for an in-person interview; in-person interviews for MPH candidates are at the discretion of the Admissions Committee. Phone/Skype interviews may be arranged for applicants who are currently located out of the country.

Minimum requirements necessary for application to Residential Master’s Programs:

  • An undergraduate degree with a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher (4.0 grading scale)
  • GRE or GMAT scores in the top 50th percentile are required. Scores must not be more than five years old. Students applying to the MPH program who have obtained a doctoral degree from a U.S. or Canadian university are exempted from the GRE/GMAT requirement.
  • Relevant work experience.
  • Applicants are advised to prepare in microeconomics, accounting, and statistics.
  • International applicants are required to submit a Financial Certificate.

Required Application Materials

For MPH:

PLEASE NOTE: The MPH is a professional degree intended for those students who hold a doctoral-level professional degree (e.g., JD, MD, DDS, PhD), or are in the process of completing a doctoral-level degree.

The UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health is now participating in SOPHAS (Schools of Public Health Application Service). All MPH applicants must submit a SOPHAS application and a Graduate School application. Please see detailed instructions here.

For MHA and MSPH:

  • Completion of online Graduate School application. Start your application by creating an account and following the instructions. Applications for the next academic year are available in August. A current email address is a required field on the application since all correspondence is conducted by email. If you have problems with the online form, contact the Graduate School.
  • Nonrefundable application fee.
  • GRE scores should be sent to GRE institution #5816; GMAT should be sent to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Kenan-Flagler Business School – Other Graduate Programs (code D40-HL-34). Scores should be no more than 5 years old. Applicants with a doctoral-level degree from a US or Canadian university are exempt.
  • Transcripts (complete, not selected courses). One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. If offered admission, one paper official transcript for each university attended will be required.
  • The email address of three recommenders is required within the application for electronic submission and delivery.
  • Resume.
  • Essay. Please upload a two page (no more than 500 words) statement addressing the following:
    • Why are you applying to this degree?
    • How will this degree program at UNC-CH contribute to your projected career?
    • What is your experience working in teams and what you can contribute to a team?
    • Please provide any additional information that you think will help us to evaluate your application.

International Applicants

In addition to the materials listed above, international applicants must submit the following:

  • TOEFL or IELTS score (no more than 2 years old). UNC is institution #5816. See
  • Financial Certificate (US Immigration requirement for entry into the United States).
  • GRE or GMAT scores – applicants practicing medicine or completing residency training in the US can request an exemption by submitting the United States Medical License Exam (USMLE) Step 1 in English scores to Health Policy and Management Student Services.

Applicants are advised to prepare in microeconomics, accounting, and statistics.

Dual and Concurrent Degree Applicants

Students must apply separately and be accepted by each program of interest.

Application Status

You may monitor the status of your application by logging into your account and following the instructions.

Mailing Addresses

Department of Health Policy and Management
Student Services Office
University of North Carolina
120 Rosenau Hall
#CB 7411
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7411

Graduate School
UNC Graduate School
200 Bynum Hall
CB #4010
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-4010

Additional Helpful Links

Prospective Student Information:

Residency Requirements and Information:

Tuition and Fees

The latest information on costs for the Master’s programs can be found by visiting the most current Tuition and Fee Rates document, found under the
Charges for Attendance heading on the University Finance Division web site
. Scroll down to the Health Affairs/School of Public Health section of the document.

Please note that tuition and fees are subject to change.

HPM Fees – in addition to university fees

Internship Fee – $450.00
Professional Training I Fee – $550.00
Professional Training II and III Fees – $500.00 each

Please note that tuition and fees are subject to change.

Need financial assistance? See our Financial Aid Information.

Contact Information

Admission and Residency Questions
Lynnette Jones, Registrar
Student Services Manager

Jackie Siler, Assistant Registrar
Residential Master’s and BSPH Programs

Program Questions
Bruce Fried, PhD
Master’s Program Director

Also see our Frequently Asked Questions about the Master’s Program.

Content for this page provided by the Department of Health Policy and Management. Please contact the webmaster with any questions or comments on content. For admission questions, please contact the HPM Student Services Office.For questions or problems with the online admissions form, contact the Graduate School.