Executive Master's Admissions and Tuition
Executive Master’s Quick Links
Applications for admission for the fall semester are generally due the second Tuesday of May. See the table below for specific dates. School Year Application Deadline 2015-2016 June 9, 2015 2016-2017 May 10, 2016
June 9, 2015
May 10, 2016
Admission into the Executive MHA and Executive MPH programs at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is very competitive, with only 40-50 students accepted for per cohort. Minimum requirements are:
- Three years prior health profession experience
- Currently employed in the health or human services field and have, or expect to have, managerial or supervisory experience
- GRE or GMAT scores that are less than five years old and in at least the 50th percentile for the Verbal and Quantitative sections of the GRE (and GMAT equivalent). PLEASE NOTE: GRE or GMAT scores are advised, but not required for applicants with an earned academic or professional doctoral-level degree from a U.S. or Canadian university).
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a grade point average of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Recommended Background or Knowledge
The Executive MHA and Executive MPH programs do not require specific prior course work. In fact, students come from a variety of professional backgrounds, including medicine, nursing, dentistry, public health, laboratory sciences, insurance, and many others. Enrolling students, however, should have some basic knowledge of elementary accounting, college algebra, statistics, and microeconomics. Applicants without this knowledge should consider enrolling in appropriate college-level courses or self-study programs. (For a list of workbook recommendations, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Enrolling students should have access to an IBM-compatible personal computer, and be able to use word processing and spreadsheet software, and the Internet. Because the bulk of the coursework is presented and distributed via the Web, it is highly recommended that students have high-speed Internet access.
Employer and Student Demands
Enrolling students and their employers must recognize the demands of the Executive MHA and Executive MPH programs. Students will have to balance professional and personal responsibilities with a rigorous program of study. Employers must provide time for attendance at on-campus sessions and should not place extraordinary job requirements on the employee while he or she is enrolled. In addition, some employers have demonstrated further commitment to the program by agreeing to: reimburse full or partial tuition costs, maintain salary during attendance, not count campus sessions against vacation time, and/or reimburse travel, lodging, and/or other expenses for on-campus visits.
Required Application Materials
The UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health is now participating in SOPHAS (Schools of Public Health Application Service). All MPH applicants must submit a SOPHAS application and a Graduate School application. Please see detailed instructions here.
- Completion of online Graduate School application. Start your application by creating an account and following the instructions. Applications for the next academic year are available in August. A current email address is a required field on the application since all correspondence is conducted by email. If you have problems with the online form, contact the Graduate School.
- Nonrefundable application fee.
- GRE scores should be sent to GRE institution #5816; GMAT should be sent to University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill: Kenan-Flagler Business School – Other Graduate Programs (code D40-HL-34). Scores should be no more than 5 years old. Applicants with a doctoral-level degree from a US or Canadian university are exempt.
- Transcripts (complete, not selected courses). One unofficial transcript from each university attended must be uploaded within the application. If offered admission, one paper official transcript for each university attended will be required.
- The email address of three recommenders is required within the application for electronic submission and delivery.
- Essay. Please upload a two page (no more than 500 words) statement addressing the following:
- Why are you applying to this degree?
- How will this degree program at UNC-CH contribute to your projected career?
- What is your experience working in teams and what you can contribute to a team?
- Please provide any additional information that you think will help us to evaluate your application.
In addition to the materials listed above, international applicants must submit the following:
- TOEFL or IELTS score (no more than 2 years old). UNC is institution #5816. See http://gradschool.unc.edu/admissions/instructions.html#toefl
- Financial Certificate (US Immigration requirement for entry into the United States).
- GRE or GMAT scores – applicants practicing medicine or completing residency training in the US can request an exemption by submitting the United States Medical License Exam (USMLE) Step 1 in English scores to Health Policy and Management Student Services. http://www.usmle.org/
GRE/GMAT scores not more than five years old are required for all applicants, and TOEFL scores not more than two years old are required for international applicants. PLEASE NOTE: GRE or GMAT scores are advised, but not required for applicants with an earned academic or professional doctoral-level degree–such as an MD, DDS, JD, PhD or DVM–from a U.S. or Canadian university.)
For those who have not taken the GRE yet or who took it more than five years ago, you must register to take the test with the Educational Testing Service (ETS). In addition, we strongly recommend that you consider first participating in a preparatory study program, such as a self-help program, courses, or individual tutoring. While performance on a standardized test is used as only one indicator of an applicant’s ability to do graduate-level work, the Graduate School does recommend scores at the 50th percentile level.
Exam results will be sent to you and to the institutions you designate within 15 days of your test administration. For results to be sent to the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, please indicate institution #5816 for the GRE and #D40-HL-72 for GMAT.
Tuition and Fees
The latest information on costs for the Executive Master’s programs can be found by visiting the most current Tuition and Fee Rates document, found under the Charges for Attendance heading on the University Finance Division web site. Scroll down to the Health Affairs/School of Public Health Off Campus Programs section of the document.
Please note that tuition and fees are subject to change.
Need financial assistance? See our Financial Aid Information.
Additional Helpful Links
Prospective Student Information: http://gradschool.unc.edu/students_prospective.html
Residency Requirements and Information: http://registrar.unc.edu/academic-services/residency/
Kim Sieler, Assistant Registrar
DrPH, Executive Master’s and Certificate Programs
Co-Executive Programs Director
Lynnette Jones, Registrar
Student Services Manager
Jackie Siler, Assistant Registrar
Residential Master’s and BSPH Programs
Department of Health Policy and Management
120 Rosenau Hall
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7411
Content for this page provided by the Department of Health Policy and Management. For specific course information, please contact the HPM Student Services Office. Please contact the webmaster with any questions or comments on site links.