Bachelor of Science in Public Health (BSPH)
|xxxxxxx||Use the Gillings Program Search to see quick facts and information about how to apply to this program.
See our School’s tuition and fees page for related information.
How can I learn about the BSPH Program in Health Policy and Management?
- Carefully study all the links on this website.
- Attend an Open House or HPM Information Session: see the box to the right and register there.
- Meet with one or more current HPM BSPH students who are BSPH Program Ambassadors. They are happy to meet up to tell you about our program!
- If after reviewing this information you have specific questions about our program, please contact our registrar Lynnette Jones or assistant registrar Jackie Siler about specific technical information about applying, coursework, or pre-requisites; or the program Director Karl Umble. If you have any questions or encounter any problems with the online BSPH application, please contact: UNCSlateSupport@unc.edu
The mission of the BSPH program in Health Policy and Management is to develop responsible graduates who have the necessary knowledge, skills, and values to pursue successful careers in health systems in the U.S. and abroad.The program aims to prepare students for both entry-level positions and for advanced degree programs (e.g. graduate school, medical school, law school).
What are the strengths of our program?
- The quality of our students and the success of our graduates.
- The supportive learning environment we create.
- The applied nature of our curriculum.
What are our students interested in?
The following questions reflect just a few of the diverse interest areas our students explore while in the program:
- Health disparities: What can we do to address the causes of health disparities both in the U.S. and internationally?
- Health reform: In what ways will health reform change the future of U.S. health care?
- Access to care: What can be done to improve access to health care for underserved populations?
- Health care quality and costs: How can we improve quality of care while also managing rising health care expenditures?
- Health promotion & disease prevention: What can we do to address preventable illnesses caused by tobacco use, obesity, and physical inactivity?
- Global Health: How do other countries deliver health care and what can the U.S. learn from their successes and failures?
- Program Competencies, Curriculum and Degree Requirements
- Meet with Our Students: The BSPH Program Ambassadors
- BSPH Handbook for Current Students
- Frequently Asked Questions
- BSPH Program Summary Handout Used for Information Sessions
- Todd Lewis (BSPH 2013) has completed his MPH in Global Health at Harvard Chan School of Public Health and is beginning his doctoral studies in Global Health Systems at Harvard in August 2017. Before starting he is working on a commission on high quality health systems for the Lancet, a highly regarded British medical journal. Many congrats to Todd!
- BSPH graduate Rachel Baum has received the American Geophysical Union’s Outstanding Student Paper Award! Read about it here.
Content for this page provided by the Department of Health Policy and Management. Please contact the webmaster with any questions or comments on content. For admission questions or problems with the online application form, please contact the HPM Student Services Office.