Executive Master’s Programs
The University of North Carolina’s Executive Master of Public Health (MPH)
and Executive Master of Healthcare Administration (MHA)
Executive Master’s Quick Links
|A limited number of out-of-state applicants who apply and are accepted before 15 March 2014, will be eligible for a one time supplement of $5,000.|
Global supply chains…increasing competition… merging of national regulations… price and cost pressures… access to readily available information… identifying and keeping up innovative technologies… demands for increased employee productivity…government reform…these are the challenges facing the health care industry.
Our Redesigned Programs
Leadership at all levels of the organization demands effective decision-making–analyzing and making choices–then putting them into action. Our programs are designed specifically to help students improve decision-making capabilities and leadership skills, especially for the delivery of health care.
We redesigned the Executive Master’s Program (EMP) in 2011 to focus on the realities of today’s health care marketplace and the unique skill sets necessary to navigate and succeed in that marketplace. Our new programs are not easy, are not for everyone, and require significant student commitment . . . just what you should expect from The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
All students in the EMP hold jobs: the intended outcome for graduates of the EMP is postgraduate employment in public health and health care services with more significant management and leadership responsibility than held previously. We measure our success by your success, so we will do everything we can to help advance your career.
Benefits of Our Redesigned Programs
- Consistently ranked in top 3 by U.S. News & World Report and Modern Physician.
- Executive Master’s programs (since 1969); Health Policy & Management programs (since 1936).
- Over 1600 graduates in leadership positions around the world.
- Commission on Accreditation Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) accredited.
Each course builds on the concepts learned in prior terms and focuses on improving decision-making and leadership skills.
- Intense BaseCamp workshops grounded in business competencies held on campus.
- Applied Leadership Integrative simulations held at end of each term to test concepts learned.
- Classes held online in real time with faculty and students, typically Tuesday and Wednesday evenings for two hours each.
- Immediate application of new skills and knowledge to work environment.
- Taught by a world-class faculty who use a variety of learning approaches.
Students, applicants, alumni, and preceptors have confirmed the top competencies needed: communication, analytical, technical, and innovative thinking skills
- Our toolbox of leading edge concepts and techniques provide you with skills and vital competencies and the ability to use these in various challenging business situations.
- Through workshops, journaling, team activities, and interaction with other students and faculty, students hone their leadership skills and build new networks.
Concentrated Program Length
- The program is completed in 2 years (49 credit hours).
- Three on-campus sessions per year; 14 days ( 8 workdays, 6 weekend days).
Improved Networking Opportunities
- MHA (healthcare administration) and MPH (public health sector) students take courses together, experiencing. professional diversity unmatched by any other university.
- Use residential sessions to maximize networking opportunities with colleagues and faculty.
- Join an established, supportive and active alumni network.
Requirements for Application
- Three years of experience in healthcare or public health by the time classes and currently working in public health or healthcare services (for waivers, contact Director of EMP).
- GRE (except for applicants holding doctorial level degrees: ex MD, DDS, Ph.D., JD).
- College transcripts.
- Personal Statement.
- Three Letters of Reference.
- APPLY HERE
*You must create a Facebook profile to view our fan page.
To sign up for our email updates on the UNC Executive MHA and Executive MPH click the link below:
|HPM’s Executive Master’s MHA program is
Content for this page provided by the Department of Health Policy and Management. Please contact the webmaster with any questions or comments on content. For admission questions, please contact the Assistant Registrar for Executive Programs. For questions or problems with the online admissions form, contact the Graduate School.