Diversity and Inclusion in Health Policy and Management
Diversity is not tolerance for difference but inclusion of those who are not the majority. It should not be measured as a count or a fraction–that is somehow demeaning. Success at maintaining diversity would be when we no longer ask if we are diverse enough, because it has become the norm, not remarkable.” – Anonymous HPM student, in response to student survey. Inclusivity is one of five values that define the culture of the Department of Health Policy and Management.The value of inclusivity promotes a diverse staff, faculty, and student body who feel fully welcome. It also promotes caring about each other as human beings and benefiting from everyone’s talents.
The documents posted here reflect the department’s ideas about diversity and plans for implementing strategies to promote inclusivity in all areas of department life. Additionally, these documents on diversity facilitate and provide guidance for training and promoting future leaders in health care management, research, learning, and teaching. Ultimately, these documents provide a blueprint to help everyone in HPM create diversity, experience inclusion, and celebrate change.
HPM Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
- Committee Co-chairs: Peggye Dilworth-Anderson, PhD & Mark Holmes, PhD
- Meeting Notes:
- 2011-2012 – Committee meeting October 13, 2011, committee meeting January 30, 2012, committee meeting April 19, 2012, luncheon April 25, 2012, committee meeting October 24, 2012, committee meeting November 19, 2012
- 2012-2013 – Committee meeting January 23, 2013, luncheon May 7, 2013
- 2013-2014 – Committee meeting September 17, 2013
- Survive and Thrive – A guide for incoming international public health students from across the globe
- Student Survey (2010):
- Survey Analysis (Excel spreadsheet)
Policy-Related and Other Documents
- National Black Graduate Student Association (NBGSA) 2012 Conference Report
- The Need for Diversity: Enhancing the Academic Process and Environment
- Integrating Diversity into the Department of Health Policy and Management
- Sample Monthly Report Form
Developing Diversity Curricula
- Developing Diversity Curricula
- Sample Course Survey
- HPM Inclusion Checklist for the Classroom
- HPM Diversity Syllabus Statement 2011
Content for this page provided by the Department of Health Policy and Management. Please contact the webmaster with any questions or comments.