CCQTP Pre-Doctoral Application Information
Who is eligible to apply
You can apply for the pre-doctoral training program if you meet all of the following requirements:
- Have an MS, MPH, MSPH, or an equivalent level of training,
- Are currently enrolled in a doctoral program at UNC-Chapel Hill,
- Have finished at least three semesters of doctoral coursework.
Candidates for both the pre-doctoral and post-doctoral training program must be citizens or non-citizen nationals of the US, or must have been lawfully admitted to the US for permanent residence (i.e., in possession of a currently valid Alien Registration Receipt Card I-551, or other legal verification of such status).
Non-citizen nationals are generally persons born in outlying possessions of the US (i.e., American Samoa and Swains Island). Individuals on temporary visas normally are not eligible.
The CCQTP is committed to training a diverse cadre of clinician and non-clinician scientists. Individuals from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
Stipend and Support
Pre-doctoral trainees are eligible for salaries of up to $22,000 per year for full-time effort plus fringe benefits commensurate with the institution’s full-time salary scale for persons of equivalent qualifications, experience and rank.
Pre-doctoral trainees are also eligible for support of up to $20,000 for the following types of expenses:
- Research expenses, such as supplies, equipment, and technical personnel;
- Tuition and fees related to career development;
- Travel to research meetings or training; and
- Statistical services including personnel and computer time.
These costs must be specifically documented for each individual candidate and must be specifically and directly related to the candidate’s education and research career development activities.
- A curriculum vita
- A two-page personal statement
- A two-page statement of research interests
- Two letters of support
In the personal statement, the applicant must:
- Describe his or her career goals
- Explain how the program would help him or her to achieve these goals
- Describe his or her research experience
- Comment on his or her academic progress to date
In the research statement, the applicant must:
- Describe his or her research focus
- Explain the gap in knowledge or practice that exists relative to this research focus
- Identify the overarching hypotheses that would guide an empirical investigation
- Explain the potential impact of such an investigation
One of the letters of support should come from a CCQTP faculty member. If the applicant’s dissertation advisor is not a CCQTP faculty member, then the other letter should come from the dissertation advisor. If the applicant has not yet formed a dissertation committee, then one of the letters should come from the applicant’s faculty advisor. The dissertation advisor and/or faculty advisor do not need to be a CCQTP faculty member.
|The application deadline for 2015-2016 is February 1, 2015.|
Send one hardcopy and one electronic copy (pdf) of the applications to:
CCQTP Program Manager
Department of Health Policy and Management
1106I McGavran-Greenberg Hall
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-7411
The admissions committee will perform an initial review of all applications based on:
- Demonstrated or expressed level of commitment to cancer care quality research (assessed through prior research experience, coursework, and career focus),
- Record of academic achievement (assessed through CV),
- Ability to work collaboratively (assessed through letters of support), and
- Potential match with available mentors’ expertise and interest (assessed through research statement / fellowship plan).
Applicants with good reviews go through a day-long interview with prospective mentors, program leaders, and admissions committee members. The program will reimburse candidates for travel expenses to interview. Candidates are encouraged to talk with prospective mentors before and after the interview.
Content for this page is provided by the Department of Health Policy and Management. Please contact the webmaster with any questions or comments.