Our curriculum includes coursework across the university’s academic campus and exposes students to an interdisciplinary research and methods approach to interventions beyond public health and training. The courses offered via the Certificate Program represent multiple disciplines including public health, economics, and sociology. If you are aware of a course that supports the spirit of the IHD certificate, please call the ECHO Office at 919-843-3539 or contact us.
To view course selection criteria guidelines, click here
. Below is a listing of approved certificate courses*. Please consult UNC Chapel Hill Directory of Classes to confirm availability, and check this page periodically for new courses. If you would like approval of an alternative course, please contact the IHD Certificate Program Office. We are in the process of reviewing new courses to add to the Certificate Program. The courses that will be offered in the Spring 2017 semester are marked with a (*) before the course name.
***Please note that some of the linked syllabi are for past semesters of the course, and the dates and other aspects contained therein will not apply to future semesters.
- *Interdisciplinary Seminar in Health Disparities – EPID 892/MHCH 892 (1 credit) – (REQUIRED COURSE) (Permission from the instructor is required.) ***see special notes below***
- Social Justice and Equality – In Search of John Cassel’s Epidemiology – EPID 799 C (3 credits)
- Aging, Family and Long-Term Care: Cultural, Ethnic and Racial Issues – HPM 522 (3 credits)
- Community Epidemiology and Environmental Justice – EPID 786 (2 credits)
- *Examining Health Access and Health Disparities – SOWO 836 (1.5 credits)
- Introduction to Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities- MHCH 665 (1 credit)
- *Translational Health Disparities; Research, Practice, and Policy- HPM 830 (3 Credits) (REQUIRED COURSE) ***see special notes below***
- Poverty, Inequality, and Health – ANTH 446 (3 credits)
- Aging and Cohort Analysis in Social and Epidemiologic Research: Models, Methods, and Innovations – SOCI 620 (3 credits)
- Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) health: a population perspective – HBEH 705-HPM 707 (3 credits)
- *Seminar in Developmental Psychology – PSYC 768 (3 credits)
- Social Epidemiology: Concepts and Measures – EPID 826 (3 credits)
*Community Capacity, Competence, and Power: Participatory Action Research & Photovoice – HBEH 710
- Underserved Populations and Health Reform – HPM 758 (3 credits)
- *Special Topics: Exploring Intersectionality: Theories, Methods, and Practices of Social Change – WMST 890 (3 credits)
- Leading for Racial Equity: Examining Structural Issues of Race and Class SPHG 690-001 (2 credits)
- Patient Advocacy: Healing the Healthcare System – HBEH_727 (3 credits)
- *Global Environmental Health Inequalities – ENVR 610 (3 credits)
- *Social Epidemiology: Analysis and Interpretation – EPID 827 (2 credits)
- Community Health Improvement and Assessment – PUBH 745 (3 credits)
- Making Equity a Priority in Cancer Care Quality – HPM 766 (3 credits)
- Migration and Health in the U.S. – PLCY 760 (3 credits) ***NEW***
- Neighborhoods and Health – GEOG 542 (3 credits) ***NEW***
- A certificate course that fulfills a degree course requirement will not be accepted.
- HMP 830 will replace MHCH 756/PUBH 756 because MHCH 756/PUBH 756 will no longer be offered.
- At least one additional course from the Health Disparities Certificate Curriculum must be taken before the seminar course EPID 892.
- HPM 830 must be taken before EPID 892.
- Courses taken more than one academic year in advance of a student’s application and acceptance in to the certificate program will not be accepted.
- Only UNC System Affiliate graduate students and professional learners are eligible to apply.