Our curriculum includes coursework across the university’s academic campus and exposes students to an interdisciplinary research and methods approach to interventions beyond public health and training. The courses offered via the Certificate Program represent multiple disciplines including public health, economics, and sociology. If you are aware of a course that supports the spirit of the IHD certificate, please call the ECHO Office at 919-843-3539 or contact us.
To view course selection criteria guidelines, click here
. Below is a listing of approved certificate courses*. Please consult UNC Chapel Hill Directory of Classes to confirm availability, and check this page periodically for new courses. If you would like approval of an alternative course, please contact the IHD Certificate Program Office.
***Please note that some of the linked syllabi are for past semesters of the course, and the dates and other aspects contained therein will not apply to future semesters.
- Interdisciplinary Seminar in Health Disparities – EPID 892/MHCH 892 (1 credit) – (REQUIRED COURSE) (Permission from the instructor is required.) ***see special notes below***
- Social Justice and Equality – In Search of John Cassel’s Epidemiology – EPID 799 C (3 credits)
- Aging, Family and Long-Term Care: Cultural, Ethnic and Racial Issues – HPM 522 (3 credits)
- Community Epidemiology and Environmental Justice – EPID 786 (2 credits)
- Examining Health Access and Health Disparities – SOWO 836 (1.5 credits)
- Understanding and Addressing Health Inequalities in the US – MHCH 756/PUBH 756 (3 credits) – (REQUIRED COURSE)
- Translational Health Disparities; Research, Practice, and Policy- HPM 890 (3 Credits) (Can replace required course) ***see special notes below***
- Poverty, Inequality, and Health – ANTH 446 (3 credits)
- A certificate course that fulfills a degree course requirement will not be accepted.
- MHCH 756/PUBH 756 is a prerequisite for the Interdisciplinary Seminar in Health Disparities. Hence, the two required courses cannot be taken concurrently.
- HMP 890 can replace MHCH 756/PUBH 756.
- At least one additional course from the Health Disparities Certificate Curriculum must be taken before the seminar course EPID 892.
- Courses taken more than one academic year in advance of a student’s application and acceptance in to the certificate program will not be accepted.
- Only UNC System Affiliate graduate students and professional learners are eligible to apply.