Pilot Projects Program
The Pilot Projects Program (PPP) stimulates innovative and collaborative research at the UNC-CEHS by providing short-term funding to collect preliminary data or demonstrate the feasibility of a particular hypothesis. Ultimately, the Program will strengthen grant proposals to further the research.
The PPP is aimed at providing opportunities for the following types of investigators:
- young investigators who are starting to develop a research program in an area of environmental health research of relevance to the CEHS
- established investigators who are interested in pursuing an innovative line of CEHS-related collaborative research
- established investigators in other research areas, who have an interest in applying their expertise to a CEHS-related area
- investigators that use CEHS Facility Cores and Collaboration with Community Outreach and Engagement Core (COEC)
The Pilot Projects Program issues a request for applications for two types of awards annually—Standard Pilot Projects and Interdisciplinary Pilot Projects. CEHS members and non-members with member-collaborators are eligible to apply for both award types, but Interdisciplinary Pilot Projects must include multidisciplinary teams of experienced investigators collectively addressing an innovative area of environmental health research.
- Interested applicants submit a one-page description of the goals of the project and outline the proposed methods and study team.
- If applicants are CEHS members or are sponsored by a CEHS member and their proposal is deemed relevant to the mission, the applicants are invited to submit a full (five-page) proposal that includes an abstract, budget/budget justification and bibliography.
- Each pilot project proposal is then reviewed by two CEHS External Advisory Committee (EAC) members with relevant expertise. The Executive Committee uses reviewers’ critiques and scores to recommend proposals for funding.
- 2016-2017 Pilot Projects Program Announcement
- Guidelines for 1st Stage Proposals
- Application Cover Page
Deadline for Letter of Intent is Friday June 24, 2016 by 5:00PM.
Announcements about program deadlines and guidelines for applicants are widely disseminated on the CEHS listserv and website. For additional details about pilot funds and the application process, please contact Melissa Troester.